The Society is responsible to the Synod to:
- Promote the collection, preservation and exhibition of historical documents and records;
- Preserve and store adequately the artifacts and documents which are not required by the Synod to be lodged at the State Library of South Australia;
- Arouse interest in and promote the study and discussion of the history of the Uniting Church particularly in South Australia and of the three churches existing prior to union;
- Publish historical articles, lectures and other such materials conducive to preserving the historical record of the Church;
- Promote the interchange of historical information by lectures, forums, workshops, readings and discussion;
- Co-operate with other societies interested in South Australian history and/or the history of the Uniting Church and the bodies from which it was formed.